I read the Heath brothers The Power of Moments book and it was very transformative both personally and professionally...While human lives are endlessly variable, our most memorable positive moments are dominated by four elements: elevation, insight, pride, and connection. If we embrace these elements, we can conjure more moments that matter.
I get their e-newsletter, so I can be re-inspired by how people are using the book to ignite a significant moment. This particular story about an 18th birthday gift box really hit home and the messages are very useful for any of us, at any age. The box included:
- White Out tape - Think of this as your personal tape of forgiveness. Don’t forget you can use this on yourself.
- Calculator - What you do now WILL count.
- Permanent marker - A gentle reminder that what you do from this day forward will be considered by society as Permanent.
- Change - You’ll be do a lot of this over your lifetime. Be the change you want to see in others!
- Flashlight - This is a reminder of the light inside of you…let it shine brightly and remember to shine your light into dark places.
- Duck tape - This will remind you to hold on to your values.
- First aid kit - Take risks and be prepared for the results.
- Deck of cards - It’s not what you’re dealt in life…instead, it’s how you deal with it. You’ve got a winning hand, play it well.
- Ruler - Use it to measure your progress against your goals and try not to compare yourself against others.
- Thank you notes - Make sure you remain humble and thank people along the way for the assistance they provide.
- Dental floss - We have given you a winning smile. Use it with abandonment, but remember to nurture and care for it because it doesn’t come with a longevity guarantee.
- Toilet paper - Remember “shit happens” and when it does, take responsibility for your role (if any in it) - get busy and clean it up!
- Cooler - Always keep your cool. When things warm up, open the cooler to get a cold drink and cool down before taking action.
- Battery - Be careful what you think, there are no neutral thoughts; only positive & negative.
- Clock - Remember to embrace the day, it’s the only one you get.
- Journal - It’s time to write your own story.
- Compass - Find your North Star and fix your own compass to it. Check your bearings when you aren’t feeling on track.
- Help wanted sign - Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
If you're interested in amplifying moments, definitely peruse this book, there's a lot to it...