With the year half gone, and at an extremely alarming rate, I’m doing a touch base with my bucket list and life. I see June as a bridge - I’m suspended between two time periods - a place when anything seemed possible in January to now facing the reality of how quick it’s all gone and if it’s possible to fit my wish list in by the end of December. It’s so wild how quick it all goes by and how important determination is to reach destinations.
I’ve also seen great beauty and magic in the spontaneous, as some of my favorite events of the year thus far weren’t even on the list…
- Reuniting with Andrea, my Canadian bestie in NYC; we schemed about Party et Cie and ate everything in sight
- The Museum of Ice Cream with the kids
- Candice Young coming to visit SF, eating ginormous noodle bowls and stumbling upon inside jokes that will make me laugh for a long time to come
- Experiencing Camp Fireball at the New Parkway Theater in Oakland
- Adopting a nectarine tree on the Masumoto Family Farm in partnership with Real Food, Real Stories
- The Loyale meetup at Yellow Dog Bread Co. in Raleigh
It’s all fluid, I suppose - the planned and the unexpected blend together to create a unique and fulfilling tapestry.
All in all I’m happy with my BL progress, but also shocked at how much is not yet accomplished; I’m not sure if I can fit in the below list into the remaining 182 days of 2018 considering both time and money. But being a glass half full person, I’ll take pride in what I have managed to check off and the activities that are still a work in progress. I hope you’ll note of what’s cropped up haphazardly, take stock of your lists, and see how things are going...it’s pretty cathartic!
Ride in a hot air balloon
> KP and I loved our Napa Valley Aloft experience
Get back into ceramics - try a wheel-throwing workshop
> Hanging with Mel Rice of Studio Ceramica and Nino, the rescue cat, for 6 weeks was a blast
Stay in the nicest hotel in a 50 mile radius and enjoy a staycation
> I surprised my hubs with a stay at the epic Poetry Inn in Napa to celebrate his 6 month work anniversary
Take Mya and Liam to Hawaii
> Happening July 4th week, stayed tuned!
Go to Form Festival
> Didn’t work out for this year, but we do have our Outside Lands 3 day passes secured (yay, Portugal. The Man, Jaime xx and Carlie Rae Jepson live!)
Cultivate a thriving veggie and herb garden
> Slugs ate my first attempts, but our lime tree looks nice and after Hawaii, I’ll try again
Visit at least 10 of SF’s privately-owned public open spaces
> Halfway there!
In the works / hope I can fit it in:
- Take a calligraphy class
- Zipline somewhere with an amazing view
- Paddle board in So Cal
- Visit the Farallon Islands
Moving to 2019:
Hike to Half Dome and climb the chain ladder to the summit
> Even though I put it in my calendar as a reminder, I missed the lottery window for 2018 :(